Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Kalaedoscopic living

I haven't blogged in such a long time. Mainly because life was going on and I was trying to live it. but also because I've had a lot going through my mind, I couldn't settle on just one thng to write about and I also failed to seamlessly connect the myriad of thoughts going through my mind.

A few weeks ago Mr Amazing Boyfriend tells me about the star signs shifting - I can't remember if they moved one up or one down but basically I wasn't a Gemini anymore. Me, Angelina Jolie, Marilyn Monroe and Joan Rivers all of us all amazing women weren't Gemini's anymore, we're either Taurus or Cancers or something else less awesome.

I refused to change. It wasn't just about me, this was bigger than me. How would Angeline feel if I didn't fight for us. Anyway the conclusion of my dreams of celebrity grandeur ended with me as the hero (naturally) and Amazing Boyfriend finally told me that it only affects people born from 2009. So I'm still a versatile, 2-faced (that's not what it sounds like), creative Gemini.

Everyone who knows me well understands that cowardice is a part of my personality. I avoid confrontation but if ever gets to that I fight to win. This little brave philosophy was put to the test on Friday when I was almost dragged into the sugar cane fields. I left work early because I had a dentist appointment I had to get to so I had to walk about 5 minutes to get to the main road and catch a taxi because that's just how rural the Bend is! Anyway to get to the road I had to walk past some sugarcane fields and I saw 2 labourers in the distance, I remember mentally rolling my eyes, as if being harassed Monday to Friday isn't enough now I had to deal with this mess and one of them looked like he was staggering. Thursday night was clearly more fun than it should have been for a man who has to report to work the next day. As I approach them they stop and continue having their conversation and I had to walk past the drunk one, you can't buy this kind of luck, really. *The conversation will be translated to English for audience purposes*

He says "Hi, I didn't know such pretty people existed"

I might have blushed if he wasn't leering. Or staggering. Or ugh never mind I can't blush anyway. I respond with a preoccupied hello and hurry along.
Then he says "Can I just have 2 minutes of your time"
I keep walking and I don't look back.
Then I hear his uneven, heavy footsteps coming after me.

And I remember thinking I can't go out like this. I can't be murdered in my safety shoes.
My macabre journalistic mind started reporting the story of the cute girl found in the sugar cane fields. Which is when, God bless it, the cowardice took over, I woke the hell up and picked up my pace. Which is when I felt his calloused hand on my arm. Pulling, grabbing at whatever he could touch. Then his friend pulled him off me. And well my name is still uttered with reverence in the corridors of my old high school I ran like there were pretty shoes at that main road.

On Saturday I went to Mbabane to spend time with Amazing Boyfriend and I was wearing a white vest, shorts and sandals. When my sister and I got off at the rank we had to walk across it to get to town. I got stopped 4 times before we broke free. One guy said to me the type of thing I'm wearing isn't allowed in Manzini and I mustn't complain if I feel a man's genitals touch my ass. Pause. Okay that one went right over my head.
These are the offensive shorts.

That's basically what's been going on in my life. I'll share more once I've lived more. Tomorrow basically.
I typed this so fast I hope there aren't any spelling or grammatical errors. If there are, count to 10 and remember tomorrow is still Tuesday.

Stay beautiful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...