Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Writing and pink hearts...

I am back froma  temporary and necessary hiatus. My life has been going on outside the blogosphere and it has been interesting. new developments that have me excited are happening, opportunistic old men who continue to hit on me are a constant, my family continues to warm my heart with the comedy shows they provide daily, I'm still in love with an amazing man who sees me.

I'm blessed to be here, to be in love with you, you with me and to have words to cement that love. Forgive me for being gone so long. I wrote poems which I would like to share... This one isn't really poem number 5 I just forget the numbering, but for the purpose of this post let's refer to is as that.

No. 5

It’s not that I hate men


It’s just that one of them took something that wasn’t his to take.

Nubile naivety

No guile but all grace

I was new to womanhood and fitting it on for size

When he helped himself to myself.

I’ll never be a blushing bride, or maybe I’ll blush because I left my hymen at the door.

He helped himself to myself and gripped my back as I gritted my teeth

I wouldn’t let him hear my tears. I swallowed them till the saltiness of the Nile ebbed and flowed deep in my belly

How do you raise a boy who takes the life of a girl and flips it over.

Enters without being let in

Drinks without being offered a glass

Turns over chairs and leaves the place in disarray.

And no, I didn’t lead him on

I wasn’t being coy I was being cautious

As he slammed the door and made himself home in myself

Groaning and stretching till he was comfortable

Packing pieces of my dignity in his pocket

I clenched my teeth and thought of my mother

Who never let a man see her tears because daddy didn’t hang around long enough to be introduced to me

She knew men

I was learning.

My heart is like a fist in my chest

And I can’t unclench my teeth long enough to ever let a man kiss me.

To ever make himself home in myself.

©Nontobeko Tshabalala 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...